Sunday, August 28, 2011

Solution to Xperia Arc Wifi Problem

My dad has bought Xperia Arc, so I helped him to do some setups with email and our home wifi.

Problem: Xperia Arc doesn't seems to connect to my home wifi even after numerous attempts and after a while my computer showed a 'local network cable unplugged' message. Did the phone made my router restart? ...

Anyway, I went Google and found out that this is a major problem to many Xperia arc users, I'm not the only one having this problem. If you've having the similar 'disconnect' or 'not in range' wifi problem as me, then do read following to save you some time troubleshooting (I hope so).

Method 1 - Adding Xperia Arc 's ip address and mac address into my router's static DHCP Table

I tried this method as it seems logical and workable but the result was disappointing. It stopped at 'obtaining ip address' and then got disconnected immediately. I didn't even see the 'connected' message on the phone.

Method 2 - Changing wifi encryption mode to WPA (TKIP)

I changed my wifi's encryption mode to WPA (TKIP) as previously my wifi encryption mode was WPA2... end result? NOT WORKING AT ALL :(

Method 3 Changing wifi band mode to wireless G only + using the wifi keep alive APP

This is the most successful or only method that works.

  • Changed my wifi band to wireless G only (tried mixture of wireless B,G,N and N only - both didn't work only G works)
  • Changed back my wifi encryption to WPA2 (AES)
  • Downloaded wifi keep alive from market (it's free) and I choose default mode for the APP.

It seems like it's only able to connect to my home's wifi in wireless G mode, however connection doesn't last as it gets disconnected sometimes, so having wifi keep alive can help.

Complaints: If it wasn't for my dad, I wouldn't have spent 2hours to figure and solve this problem. I feel that testings should be done on its function before selling or otherwise they could have just release the fix quickly.

By the way, I'm using EnGenius ERS9850 wireless N router.


I feel so much better now, peace^^

1 comment:

  1. thank you, this is THE ONLY SOLUTION THAT WORKS
    G Only + WPA2 Only

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive